GIVE SAILING A GO IN WORCESTERSHIRE THIS MAY
There’s something for everyone as RYA Push The Boat Out gives you the chance to try sailing and windsurfing for free or low cost in Worcestershire this May.
If you’re on the lookout for something completely different, whether you’re bored of the gym and want some outdoor health and fitness, are a bit of an adrenaline junkie, need something to switch your brain off from everyday life or simply want a sociable new activity you can enjoy with your partner or family, pop down to your local sailing club or centre during Push The Boat Out and have a go.
Over 22,000 people regularly go along to their local sailing club every month across the Midlands, sailing small sailboats or windsurfing on the region’s reservoirs, lakes and rivers.
Gareth Brookes, RYA Regional Development Officer for the Midlands, said: “If you didn’t even know you could go sailing or windsurfing on your doorstep, now’s the time to give it a go. So many people still don’t realise it is possible to sail in the Midlands and that you don’t even need to own a boat as clubs and centres have ones to borrow or hire.
“Once you’ve learned the ropes, you can sail on your own or with your partner, friends or kids in dinghies or big boats, inland or on the coast. You can enjoy watersports and flotilla holidays overseas too. Whatever experience you’re after, sailing can offer it as there is always something new to discover. And after you’ve given your mind and body an on-the-water workout, nothing beats having a drink by the water on warm summer evenings.”
In 2017 a whopping 31,000 people ‘pushed the boat out’ at over 500 sailing and windsurfing taster sessions across the UK.
At least five venues across Worcestershire are hosting Push The Boat Out events throughout the whole of May. All kit and safety equipment is provided so just bring a pair of old trainers you don’t mind getting wet and your sense of fun. Refreshments will be available with a host of shoreside activities and entertainment to enjoy too.
More About the RYA
- The RYA is the national body for all forms of recreational, competitive and professional boating. It represents dinghy and yacht racing, motor and sail cruising, RIBs and sportsboats, powerboat racing, windsurfing, inland cruising and personal watercraft.
- The RYA is recognised by all government offices as being the negotiating body for the activities it represents. It continually fights for the rights and freedoms of its 110,000 personal members, the majority of whom choose to go afloat for purely recreational non-competitive pleasure on coastal and inland waters. There are an estimated further 500,000 boat owners nationally who are members of RYA affiliated clubs and class associations.
- The RYA also sets and maintains recognised standards for training for both leisure and commercial boating through a network of more than 2,400 RYA Recognised Training Centres in 58 countries. More than 250,000 people per year complete RYA training courses.
- The RYA is committed to promoting all forms of boating and making them accessible to everyone. For more information please refer to our website www.rya.org.uk
- You can find the RYA at RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Southampton, SO31 4YA
- Love Boating? Why not join the association that promotes and protects, safe, successful and rewarding boating. Join today and support the RYA in protecting your boating rights and freedoms. Take advantage of free advice and support on all aspects of your boating, as well as enjoying a range of fantastic personal member offers. Find out more by calling 0844 556 9556, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.rya.org.uk